For a new twist on an old standby, try this quick chicken soup inspired by the classic Greek soup Avgolemono (meaning “egg-lemon”). We love the simple, creamy soup base made by whisking eggs, lemon, and broth together. Our healthy version has 231 calories and 32 grams of protein per serving.
Total Time: 40 min.
Prep Time: 15 min.
Cooking Time: 25 min.
Yield: 4 servings
¾ cup dry whole wheat penne (1½ oz.)
1 lb. raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cut into bite-sized pieces
Nonstick cooking spray
3 large eggs
6-9 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice, divided use
4 cups low-sodium, organic chicken broth, hot
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
sea salt and group black pepper (to taste; optional)
1. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente; drain. Cool.
2. Heat medium nonstick skillet, lightly coated with spray, over medium heat.
3. Add chicken; cook, stirring frequently, for 6 to 8 minutes or until cooked through. Set aside.
4. Whisk together eggs and 6 Tbsp. lemon juice in a large bowl. Slowly add broth, whisking constantly, until outside of bowl feels warm to the touch.
5. Transfer egg mixture to medium saucepan. Add chicken, spinach, pasta, and any remaining broth; cook, over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 1 to 2 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper if desired; add remaining 3 Tbsp. lemon juice to taste if desired. Serve immediately.