All you have to do is mash a banana, stir in some oats, almond milk, peanut butter, and chia seeds, put the mixture in the fridge while you get your beauty sleep, and BAM ! You’re done. (I like to refrigerate the oats in mason jars because they’re cute and portable, but they’re obviously not essential.) Personally, I’m partial to dressing up my oatmeal with sliced banana and a little bit of honey and cinnamon or dark chocolate shavings, but the topping possibilities are endless.
In addition to their deliciousness and convenience factor, these overnight oats are literally packed with health benefits. First and foremost, oats are an excellent whole grain source of antioxidants and fiber, and they help reduce your risk of practically every disease in the book (cancer, diabetes, heart disease, obesity, etc.). Peanut butter adds protein and healthy fat, and banana gives you a nutritious dose of potassium, mood-boosting tryptophan, and even more fiber. I won’t bore you again with the superfood qualities of chia seeds, but there are many, and they are glorious. In short, eating a serving of this oatmeal will keep you full, energized and extremely overjoyed happy for hours.
- 1 large ripe banana, mashed (about ½ cup)
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds (optional)
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon light agave or honey
- Sliced Bananas
- Drizzle of Agave, Maple Syrup or Honey
- Dark chocolate shavings or chips
- Coconut shavings
- In a medium bowl, mash your banana with a fork.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into two airtight containers and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.
- When ready to eat, give the oats a good stir, add toppings of your choice, and dig in!
Add chopped almonds and ½ scoop chocolate Shakeology for extra muscle repair.